Congregation Kol Halev Sunday School
B’nai (Bar/Bat) Mitzvah Program
CKH Sunday School provides a supportive context for an individualized B’nai Mitzvah program for children and adults from families paying full membership dues ($1200/family)
The first step in the process is for the family to meet with the Sunday School director and/or other Sunday School faculty members to decide what type of Bar/Bat Mitzvah will be appropriate and meaningful for the student and family. This meeting will normally take place about 18 months prior to the planned B’nai Mitzvah date, but can be closer to the event depending on circumstances. Based on the type of B’nai Mitzvah desired, an individualized study plan and contract will be created for the student and family.
The following options for completing the B’nai Mitzvah preparation are available:
- Home Study directed by Sunday School faculty—no extra charge
- Skype Tutoring with a Rabbi or Fellow from Institute for Southern Jewish Life—no extra charge
- Other Tutoring—CKH Sunday School faculty will help the family find an appropriate tutor—family will pay tutoring fee directly to the tutor.
The B’nai Mitzvah Service
Options for leadership of the B’nai Mitzvah Service:
- Local Rabbi/Cantor or other service leader—family pays honorarium
- Institute for Southern Jewish Life Rabbi (or other out-of-town clergy)—family pays honorarium plus travel expenses.
- Lay-led service run by CKH members—no extra charge
- Family-run service—CKH will help with organization of service—no extra charge.
Torah and other ritual objects:
These will be provided by CKH at no additional charge.
The family can hold the service in any location desired. CKH will provide a Torah if desired and provide other desired logistical support to the family. Any fees charged by the venue will be the responsibility of the family.
CKH family membership is $1200 PER FAMILY per year.