Congregation Kol Halev Sunday School
B’nai (Bar/Bat) Mitzvah Program
CKH offers an individualized program for all our B’nai Mitzvah students
The first step in the process is for the family to meet with the Sunday School director and/or other Sunday School faculty members to decide what type of Bar/Bat Mitzvah will be appropriate and meaningful for the student and family. This meeting will normally take place about 18 months prior to the planned B’nai Mitzvah date. Based on the type of B’nai Mitzvah desired, an individualized study plan and contract will be created for the student and family.
Although there will be time devoted during Sunday School to work on B’nai Mitzvah students’ individualized B’nai Mitzvah study plans, generally this time will not suffice to achieve the students’ goals. The following options for completing the B’nai Mitzvah preparation are available:
- Home Study directed by Sunday School faculty—no extra charge
- Skype Tutoring with a Rabbi from Institute for Southern Jewish Life—no extra charge
- Other Tutoring—CKH Sunday School faculty will help the family find an appropriate tutor—family will pay tutoring fee directly to the tutor.
The B’nai Mitzvah Service
Options for leadership of the B’nai Mitzvah Service:
- Local Rabbi/Cantor or other service leader—family pays honorarium
- Institute for Southern Jewish Life Rabbi (or other out-of-town clergy)—family pays honorarium plus travel expenses.
- Lay-led service run by CKH members—no extra charge
- Family-run service—CKH will help with organization of service—no extra charge.
Torah and other ritual objects:
These will be provided by CKH at no additional charge.
The family can hold the service in any location desired. CKH will provide a Torah if desired and provide other desired logistical support to the family. Any fees charged by the venue will be the responsibility of the family.
CKH Sunday School tuition is $1500 PER FAMILY per year. All Sunday School families are entitled to all benefits of CKH synagogue membership, including High Holiday tickets. Those, including teens and adults, who wish to be part of the B’nai Mitzvah program without attending Sunday School can be accommodated for the same fee.